Have you ever noticed the keyboard attached to your PC or Laptop carefully? If not, you can try to remember the image by closing your eyes or you can just turn your head down to look at the keyboard of the laptop on which you are reading this article. The top row of the keyboard has some keys with ‘F’ written on them with a number. These keys are known as F keys or Function keys. These keys are numbered from F1 to F12 in sequence. Now the question is what is the use of these function keys? The function keys are provided as shortcut keys to perform various functions like adjusting the brightness of the screen, taking the printouts or saving a file etc.
If you look at the lowest row on the keyboard you can find a key Fn. What does this key stand for? Fn is the short form for function and it is a modifier key on the keyboard. It is generally found in compact keyboards like on your laptop. This key is used with the F keys to perform various functions in shortcuts. Is there an alternative for fn keys on the keyboard? Can we use function keys without the Fn key? All these questions are explored in the following article. In this article, various methods are explained for using different alternatives for the fn key on the keyboard, which will make your work much easier & convenient.
Methods to Use Function Keys Without Fn Key
The function keys F1, F 2, F3…… are used with the Fn key to perform various functions. But if you don’t want to use the Fn key and use the function keys with their regular features or you don’t want this double-clicking of the Fn key with the function keys then don’t worry we have a solution for you. You can use the function keys without the Fn key as well by implementing the following methods. Follow any one of the methods carefully and in step by step manner according to your convenience.
Method 1: Disable Fn Key
One can use a keyboard shortcut to disable the fn key to unlock the features of the function keys and use them without pressing the fn key. In the keyboards of laptops, a special key is provided to lock the fn key. This is known as the fn lock key. In some keyboards, there’s a separate key whereas in some keyboards keys like the escape key have a padlock icon which indicates that you can use this escape key to lock your fn key. You can also find the lock key on your keyboard with a padlock icon made on it. Now press the fn lock key and the fn key together. This will disable the fn key.
Also Read: What Are Macros and How to Set Up Macros
Method 2: BIOS Settings
Many devices do not have an Fn lock key. In these devices, you can disable the Fn key by modifying the BIOS settings. For this, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Turn off your device completely.
- Step 2: Turn it on and press ‘F10’ immediately. Keep pressing till the BIOS setup window opens.
- Step 3: Select the ‘System Configuration’ option using the right and left arrow keys.
- Step 4: Select the ‘Action Keys Mode’ using the up and down arrow keys & press the ‘Enter’ key which will display the menu on the screen.
- Step 5: Using the option ‘Enabled’ assign the action to the function keys which will disable the Fn key. Use function keys without pressing the Fn keys.
- Step 6: Tap the F10 key again to save your changes.
- Step 7: Restart your device. Once the system starts the keys will work according to the new settings you have saved.
Method 3: UEFI Settings In Windows
If you are not able to reach the BIOS settings of your laptop you can reach the UEFI settings from your windows operating system as well. For this follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Open your windows and click on the ‘Start’ button.
- Step 2: Type and select the ‘Settings’ option.
- Step 3: Select ‘Update and Security’ & then choose the ‘Recovery’ option displayed on the left side of the screen.
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Restart Now’ option.
- Step 5: When windows start in recovery mode select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Step 6: Select ‘Advanced Options’ and click on the ‘UEFI Firmware Settings’ option.
- Step 7: Then click on ‘Restart’. As the laptop will restart the UEFI settings will open up on the screen.
- Step 8: Now enable or disable function keys as per your choice under the function keys option.
Function keys are the F keys present on the keyboard and are shortcuts to many functions. These keys are used in combination with the Fn key on the keyboard. One can use function keys in different ways and there are many alternatives to the function key as well that are discussed in this article in detail. All the methods mentioned in this article have discussed various substitutes for the function key which can be implemented seamlessly.