What is ffxiv? Final Fantasy XIV abbreviated as FFXIV is a game developed by Square Enix. It is a multiplayer online role-playing game and is supported on various platforms including Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, macOS, and Xbox One. Though the game was developed by one of the most popular gaming franchises, users face many problems – Fatal Directx Error – caused by the PC port.
The Problem – Fatal Directx Error
Fatal Directx Error is one of the many problems that users face. The users have often been displayed a message, saying a fatal DirectX error has occurred while running the game. This error is accompanied by lagging and freezing of the screen before the error message is displayed. The game finally crashes due to which the user feels annoyed.
The Reason behind Fatal Directx Error
Let us now try to understand what causes Fatal Directx error to occur. The Fatal Directx Error mostly occurs when the gamer is using DirectX 11 in a fullscreen mode. This causes a malfunction in some graphics cards and also messes up setups. Apart from this reason, various other reasons may be the cause of errors of this kind.
The Solution for Fatal Directx Error
Various techniques can be used to resolve the Fatal Directx Error. There may be a problem with the drivers, therefore updating the drivers might help in taking care of this error. In this article, we will take a look at the different methods that may prove to be fruitful to fix Fatal Directx error.
Method 1: Run FFXIV in windowed mode
We already know that Fatal Directx Error primarily occurs when DirectX 11 is running in fullscreen mode. It is not plausible to disable fullscreen mode, as this may lead to the crashing of the game. Let us now take a look at how to run Final Fantasy XIV in the borderless window:
- Press the combination of Windows key+ E to launch the Windows File Explorer.
- Navigate to the Documents folder under the Quick Access Menu.
- Then click on the My Games folder option.
- You will find the Final Fantasy XIV game folder in the Documents folder.
- You will now see a file named “FFXIV.cfg” in the Final Fantasy XIV folder. Right-clicking on it will start the context menu.
- Choose the ‘Open With…’ option and then select the Notepad option.
Note: Choosing the Notepad option will enable you to edit the .cfg file.
- Now go to the Edit option present at the top-left of the window.
- Choose the Find option available in the drop-down menu. You can also press Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog box.
- In the textbox beside the Find What: option, type ScreenMode.
- Select the Find Next button.
- You will find that the ScreenMode value is set to 0. Delete the default value and enter the value 2 instead.
- Press on the Save button present in the File menu. You can alternatively press Ctrl+S.
- Close the file named ffxiv.cfg.
- Check whether the problem persists. After the FFXIV launches, you can go to full-screen mode by pressing Alt+Enter.
Method 2: Use DirectX 9 to run FFXIV
DirectX 11 is set as default in newer versions of Windows 10. It has been reported that using DirectX 9 has resolved the error. Hence, let’s take a look at the procedure to change from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9.
The steps to change In-game are as follows:
- Go to the Settings option.
- Choose Systems Configuration.
- Then select the Graphics Tab.
- The steps to change from DirectX11 to DirectX 9 using Steam has been detailed below:
- Select the Steam option by double-clicking the icon present on the desktop.
- In case, the Steam icon is not available, press Windows key + S.
- In the application window, you will locate the Library option at the top. This will switch the window to the library tab. The library will only be available if the game has been downloaded via Steam.
- Now, navigate to Final Fantasy XIV. Right-click on it to select it.
- A context menu will appear, choose the Properties option.
- Select the Set Launch Details option from the General Properties tab.
- In the Launch Options, Type in “-dx9”.
Note: If there are existing entries, just put commas to separate them.
- Press OK to save the changes.
Method 3: Uninstall/ Update The Drivers Of Graphic Cards
To resolve issues occurring due to drivers, you can simply uninstall and install the drivers. You can also manually update the graphic card drivers:
- Select Windows Key+ R.
- Type in “devmgmt.msc”.
- Press OK. This will open the Device Manager.
- Expand the option Display adapters.
- Select the Uninstall device option by right-clicking.
- Click the Uninstall button in the pop-up warning message box.
- Now, again right-click on the graphic card.
- Then, select Update Driver
- .You will find the Search automatically for the updated driver option.
- This will automatically update all the drivers available.
Method 4: Switch off Crossfire
- This can be done for AMD GPUs. You can disable crossfire from the Radeon settings.
- Right-click on the space on the desktop to open the context menu.
- Then, Choose the AMD Radeon Settings.
- At the bottom of this application, the Gaming tab will be found.
- After that, choose the Global Settings options.
- Then press the toggle switch. This will disable the AMD Crossfire.
- Restart the device and check whether the problem persists.
Method 5: Add -dx9
- If the game has been downloaded from illegal sites, adding -dx9 to the target text of the game may solve the problem.
- Go to the shortcut for Final fantasy XIV available on the desktop. Select it by right-clicking.
- Now, choose the Properties option from the context menu.
- Now add “-dx9” at the end of the path. This will be in the Target text box.
“C:/Program Files/FFXIV/FFXIV.exe” -dx9
- Select the Apply button. This will save the modified target path.
- Press OK.
Method 6: Disable SLI
If the device you are using has a single Nvidia GPU and you face the error, you can disable the SLI. The procedure to do it has been given below:
- Right-clicking any empty area on the desktop will open a context menu.
- Choose the NVIDIA Control Panel from this context menu.
- Now, left-click on the small + icon to expand the 3D Settings.
- Now select Configure SLi, Surround, Physx option present in the 3d Settings.
- Press the Disable SLI option situated on the right panel.
- Once disabled, SLI Disabled will appear at the bottom.
- Select the Apply button to save the modifications.
We hope the article was able to answer your questions regarding the reason for the Fatal Directx Error and was also helpful in getting rid of it. Feel free to comment below about the fruitfulness of the methods mentioned above.