A well-known subscription-based streaming service with a large selection of TV series, films, and original material is Hulu. It is accessible on various gadgets, such as mobile phones, tablets, smart Televisions, and game consoles.
“Sorry, we encountered an error playing this video. Please try restarting the video or select something else to watch Error Code: 2(-998)” This error message has disturbed a lot of users. Several factors, including an out-of-date Hulu app, missing app files, an unstable internet connection, server problems, and more, might cause this error code to appear. The remedies listed below might help you eliminate Hulu Error Code: 2(-998)” even if you are unsure of the issues due to which it’s taking place. So without any further delay, let’s get started now.
Also Read: Hulu The Server Key Used To Start Playback Has Expired: Trending Error Hacks
What Leads To Hulu Error Code 2 (-998) Error Message
Hulu Error Code (-998) usually indicates a connectivity issue between your device and Hulu’s servers. This error message can occur due to various reasons, some of which are listed below:
- Network connectivity issues: A weak or unstable internet connection can cause this error message to appear. You must ensure your device is connected to a strong and stable internet connection.
- Outdated Hulu App: If your Hulu app is outdated, it can cause this error message to appear. Check if there are any available updates for the Hulu app and update it.
- Server Issues: Hulu’s servers may sometimes experience technical issues or maintenance that can cause the error message to appear. In such cases, wait for some time & try again later.
- Device compatibility issues: This error message may appear if you use an outdated or incompatible device to access Hulu. Make sure that your device meets the minimum requirements to run the Hulu app.
- Ad-blocking software: If you have installed ad-blocking software on your device, it can interfere with the Hulu app’s functionality and cause the error message to appear. Disable the ad-blocker and try again.
- Missing files: Missing files on your device are not a common cause of the Hulu Error Code (-998). However, if the missing files are related to the Hulu app or its data, it can cause the app to malfunction and display error messages, including the Hulu Error Code (-998).
Proven Methods To Fix Hulu Error Code 2 (-998) Error
Check Your Internet Connection
Internet connection of your system can be a common cause of the Hulu Error Code (-998). The error message can occur due to a weak internet connection, due to which the Hulu app fails to connect with its server & this error message is displayed on the screen. To resolve this issue, ensure that your device is connected to a steady & secure internet connection.
Clear Cache Or App data
Clearing the cache or app data of the Hulu app can help remove the Hulu Error Code (-998) in some cases. This method removes all sorts of corrupt or outdated files that may be causing the app to malfunction. When you clear the cache of the Hulu app, you are essentially removing temporary files that are stored on your device to help the app run faster. Hulu’s data deletion clears your settings and preferences, logs you out of your account, and resets the program. After removing the Hulu app data, you need to log in again with your valid login details. Follow the steps mentioned below to clear unwanted cache on Android devices & televisions:
For Android Devices
- Step 1: Open ‘Settings’
- Step 2: Navigate to ‘Apps and notifications’ or (‘Apps’)
- Step 3: Open ‘Manage apps’ or ‘All apps’
- Step 4: Find Hulu app and tap on it
- Step 5: Select ‘Clear Data’ located at the bottom of the screen
For Android TV
- Step 1: From the TV, open the ‘Settings’
- Step 2: Click on ‘Apps’ and tap on ‘Manage Installed Applications’
- Step 3: Locate ‘Hulu’ app and tap on it
- Step 4: Click on ‘Clear Cache Option’
Clear Your Browser Cache
You may easily delete the cache if you’re streaming Hulu using the Google Chrome web browser. Chrome mostly has abundant data & cookies stored in its database, which at times leads to Hulu Error Code 2(-998) so wiping them out actually is the quickest fix to this error.
Also Read: Fix ‘This Site Can’t Be Reached’ Error In Google Chrome
Get An Updated Version Of Hulu
Updating the Hulu app can help remove the Hulu Error Code 2 (-998) sometimes. An outdated app can cause various issues, including connectivity issues that trigger this error message. Install the updated version by following the steps mentioned below:
For Android Users
- Step 1: Launch your Google Play Store app
- Step 2: On the Search bar, type ‘Hulu’
- Step 3: If there is an update, then click on ‘Update’ and open
For Android TV
- Step 1: Navigate to the Home screen and choose the ‘Applications’ option
- Step 2: Select the ‘Google Play Store’ to update the Hulu app on Android TV
- Step 3: Go to ‘My Apps’ and look for the ‘Hulu’ app
- Step 4: Relaunch the app and stream
Check Hulu Server
It is advised to verify the server status to ensure that Hulu is functioning properly. You can do this by visiting the official Downdetector website, Hulu’s official Twitter or Facebook account & check if there’s any update on server issues. Hulu typically posts real-time updates and alerts on their relevant social media channels.
Reinstall Your Hulu Application
Reinstalling the Hulu app can help remove the Hulu Error Code (-998) in some cases. This is because reinstalling the app will replace the existing app with a fresh installation that includes all the latest updates and fixes, which can resolve any app-related issues that may be causing the error message.
For Android Users
- Step 1: Simply tap and hold the Hulu app for a second or two
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Uninstall’ option visible
- Step 3: Open Google Play Store and type Hulu in the search bar
- Step 4: Install the app and log in with your credentials
For Android TV
- Step 1: Go to the Home screen of your Android TV and select ‘Settings’
- Step 2: Navigate to the ‘Devices’ and then choose the ‘Apps’ option
- Step 3: Select the ‘Hulu’ app
- Step 4: Choose Uninstall, then click on the ‘OK’ option
- Step 5: Search for the Hulu app on the Google Play store
- Step 6: Install and open the app again using your credentials
Also Read: Instagram Fixes “We Restrict Certain Activity To Protect Our Community Error Message”
Switch To Different Browser
Switching to a different browser can help resolve this issue because different browsers can have distinct configurations, settings, and add-ons that can interfere with Hulu’s streaming service.
For instance, using a browser with outdated or incompatible plugins or extensions can cause issues with Hulu’s streaming service and trigger the (-998) error code. Switching to a different browser or disabling your current browser’s problematic plugins or extensions can eliminate this issue quickly.
Power-Cycle Hulu App
Internal flaws and malfunctions in the software can cause interference and prevent it from working correctly. As a result, it is advised that you force close the Hulu app on your device.
- Step 1: Launch the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc key buttons
- Step 2: Task Manager will open; click on the ‘Process’ tab
- Step 3: Find ‘Hulu’ app and right click on it, and press on the ‘End Task’ option
- Step 1: Go to ‘Settings’ and open ‘Apps and Notifications’(or ‘Apps’)
- Step 2: Click on ‘See all apps’ or ‘App info’
- Step 3: Tap on the ‘Force Stop’ and then click ‘OK’ to quit the application
For Android TV
- Step 1: Head to ‘Settings’
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Applications’ option
- Step 3: Search for ‘Manage installed applications’ or ‘All apps’
- Step 4: Click on ‘Hulu’ app and tap ‘Force Strop’
Verify The Status Of Your Hulu Subscription
This error disables the video from continuing to play if your Hulu app membership has run out of time. If you run into this kind of issue, check the subscription status. If your membership has run out, try renewing it to fix the Hulu Error Code 2(-998).
Contact Hulu’s Support Team
The best course of action is to get in touch with the Hulu support team for help if none of the above fixes work out for you. If your account is validated by a support representative, have your account details close to hand and be prepared to provide all the essential information.
Also Read: 10 Authentic Fixes For Disney Plus Error Code 42
Hulu Error Code 2(-998) can be a frustrating issue for users trying to stream their favorite content on Hulu. However, several solutions and suggestions can help resolve this error presented in this article. But you should also give other streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Disney Hotstar, etc. a try. Also, remember to take breaks when streaming to preserve your health and avoid eye strain. All of these methods are helpful, but if none of them work efficiently, then you can connect with the Hulu support staff for better assistance,
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Q) How can I prevent Hulu Error Code 2(-998) from occurring in the future?
Ans: Keeping the Hulu app and related devices up to date with the latest software versions, ensuring a stable internet connection, avoiding the use of VPN or proxy servers, and contacting Hulu support for any ongoing issues can help prevent Error Code 2(-998) from occurring in the future.
Q) Does Hulu Error Code 2(-998) occur on all devices?
Ans: Yes, Hulu Error Code 2(-998) can occur on all devices that support the Hulu app, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, streaming devices, and gaming consoles.
Q) What is Hulu Error Code P-TS207 ?
Ans: Hulu Error Code P-TS207 is a playback error that occurs when there is an issue with the content being streamed on Hulu. This error typically indicates that the video is unavailable or there is a problem with the playback. With the steps described in this article, you can get rid of the Hulu Error Code P-TS207 too.