Microsoft has been trying to get users to use the Edge browser for many years. Currently, the firm has created Edge as the default browser; still, many users are seen heading towards Google Chrome. The recent version of Edge is underpowered and has some features that are difficult to use and provide a few extensions than Firefox and Chrome. In January 2020 Edge’s latest version was launched by Microsoft and it exhibits the same technology as depicted by Chrome. The latest version is a competent browser and there are numerous reasons to use it. Still, you might prefer Firefox or Chrome rather than the edge. If you want your computer to open the links in Chrome, Edge, or Firefox, here’s a complete guide on the method to shift the default browser on your computer.
Browser Settings On Different Platforms
Before you direct towards the setting of your device, go to the browser that you want to keep as default, and change it as default.
If you want Google Chrome as a default browser:
- Step 1: Tap on the icon of three dots present on the upper right side.
- Step 2: Go to the option of Settings, select default browser, and then click on ‘Make Default’ option.
If you want Firefox as a default browser:
- Step 1: Tap on the hamburger icon present on the upper right side.
- Step 2: Click on the options.
- Step 3: Choose ‘Make Default’ present in the general section.
Also Read : Skip Sign In Windows 10 :Time-Saving Methods
Set Browser In Windows 10
Microsoft has now modified internet explorer with Edge in Windows 10. In 2020, it has obtained a chromium-based overhaul too. Microsoft also suggests staying with the default browser but it’s on you if you have to change it or not. To change the browser follow these steps for better understanding & reference.
- Step 1: Go to the settings of Windows 10 and click on App and choose ‘Default App’.
- Step 2: As you scroll, select the Web Browser and you have an option to choose from chrome, Firefox, IE, and edge.
Set Browser In Windows 8.1
The default browser of Windows 8.1 is Internet Explorer. In case you wish to change then, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Step 1: Open the charms bar and then click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Step 2: Select the ‘Change PC Setting’ option.
- Step 3: Click on ‘Search and Apps’ and choose ‘Default’ option.
- Step 4: As you scroll, select the Web Browser and you have an option to choose from chrome, Firefox, IE, and edge.
Set Browser In Windows 7
In January 2020, the security updates of Windows 7 were seized by Microsoft. You need to evaluate a secure and modern OS. The default browser in this Windows is Internet Explorer, but the method to change it is different from Windows 10 and 8.1. Checkout the detailed procedure below on how to set browser in Windows 7 in few simple steps.
- Step 1: Go to the Control panel and choose ‘Default programs’ and then ‘Set your default programs.
- Step 2: Choose the browser that you want to set as default.
- Step 3: You need to notice that the new default browser status indicates X no of current defaults.
- Step 4: Choose ‘Set this program as default’ and check the status changing into ‘Browser has all its default’.
Set Browser In Mac OS
If you want to change the default browser in Mac OS, the process is very simple can be performed in few simple steps.
- Step 1: Go to the Apple menu present on the top left side of the screen.
- Step 2: Click on ‘System preferences’ and choose the ‘General icon’.
- Step 3: Select the “Drop Down box” present next to the default browser on the general screen.
- Step 4: Change the browser according to your preference.
Set Browser In iOS & iPadOS
Earlier, it wasn’t possible to change the default browser on iPad or iPhone but later things got possible with the development of iOS 14 and iPadOS. Follow these steps, if you want to change the default browser from Safari to another browser such as Edge, Chrome, etc on Apple devices.
- Step 1: Click on the entry pathway displayed for the app of ‘Default Browser’.
- Step 2: Choose the browser that you want to set as the default browser in iPadOS.
Set Browser On Android
If you want to change the default browser to Google Chrome in your Android, you need to make some changes within the settings of your phone. The settings of the phone changes depending upon the model and manufacturer.
- Step 1: Swipe downwards from the screen top and click on the gear icon to go to the settings of your phone.
- Step 2: Search for the option of ‘Apps or Apps & Notifications’.
- Step 3: A list of installed applications gets displayed on the screen. Click on the browser that you want to set as default.
- Step 4: Swipe down the screen of the selected app and click on the ‘Browser app’ entry.
- Step 5: Tap on ‘Browser App’ to set it as the new default browser.
That’s all about the methods to change the default browser according to your wish in windows 10, 8.1, 7, Mac OS, iOS, iPadOS, and Android. Follow the steps sequence-wise and change the settings of the default browser according to your choice. The steps mentioned are easy to follow and apply. Now you can set the desired browser as the default browser on your PC or phone easily.