The Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000098 occurs in case there is a corrupted Boot Configuration data file in the device. This causes problems while booting the device and nothing else can be done.
There are various reasons for this error to occur. This error may result from hardware errors. There may be the presence of damaged hard drives or bad RAM.
The error may occur due to various reasons but they can be fixed easily too. Let’s take a look at various methods available for fixing this error.
Method 1: Startup Repair
Repairing the Startup fixes many common issues that users face. Therefore, you may take a look and implement this method to fix this error.
Step 1: Boot the device With a Windows recovery disk
- You need a Windows recovery disk to proceed with the procedure.
- Plugin the recovery disk into the device.
- Boot the device. After restarting, a wizard will appear on the screen with instructions. Follow the instructions.
- Navigate to the option that controls the booting sequence of the device.
- Then, select the Removable Devices option to set it as the first boot device.
- Boot the device after saving the changes you have made.
Note: Do keep in mind that the Removable Devices option only allows booting through the device via a USB drive. When using a Windows recovery CD, always choose CD-ROM Drive. After the problem is taken care of, select Hard Drive as the first boot device.
Step 2: Keep following the on-screen wizard. Then, press on Repair your computer to enter the Windows Recovery Environment.
Step 3: Go to the Troubleshoot option.
Step 4: Select the Advanced Options.
Step 5: Select Startup Repair.
If the problem persists, take a look at the next method.
Method 2: Repair the Boot sector or Rebuilding the BCD
If the methods given above do not yield positive results, the BCD error needs to be fixed manually. Following the steps given below may help in rectifying the error.
Step 1: In the Windows Recovery Environment, the Command Prompt will be available. Open it.
Step 2: Enter the following commands given below to get rid of the BCD error.
- Bootrec /fixmbr
- Bootrec /fixboot
- Bootrec /rebuildbcd
Method 3: Startup Repair
Step 1: Restart the PC after inserting the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD.
Step 2: Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
Step 3: Choose the preferred language.
Step 4: Press the Click Repair option.
Step 5: Select the Troubleshoot option and choose an option screen.
Step 6: Now, select the Advanced option.
Step 7: Press on Automatic Repair or Startup Repair. This will be available in the advanced options screen.
Step 8: The Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs will take some time to complete.
Step 9: Restart the device.
The Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000098 will be fixed.
Method 4: Running CHKDSK and SFC
If the error persists, the System File Checker (SFC) needs to be checked and the corrupted files need to be replaced.
Step 1: Start the Command Prompt window.
Step 2: Enter sfc /scannow as the command.
Step 3: Now enter /offbootdir=c:\ as the command.
Step 4: Following that, enter the command /offwindir=c:\windows.
Step 5: Finally enter chkdsk c: /r command.
Step 6: Exit the command and restart the device.
Method 5: Resetting the PC
You can consider resetting the PC now, as the above methods did not solve the problem. Restoring the system fixes many errors and saves the computer from crashing. Another method can be to reset the device. The factory reset can be done by keeping personal files intact.
Method 6: Clean Installation
Though you may have only three recovery options: Turning off the PC, the Command Prompt option, and the Startup Repair option. If you have no alternative option to take care of this situation, you should go for the Clean Installation process.
Remember to recover the data and wipe the disk for the system first.
Step 1: Bootable Disk of the MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Attach the USB flash drive to your device.
- Launch the MiniTool Partition Wizard after buying it. Launching it will give you the main interface.
- In the Toolbar, you will get the Bootable Media option. Select it.
- Select the WinPE-based media via the MiniTool plug-in.
- Select the USB Flash Drive and it will be formatted. The iso file will be burnt into it. Thus it will complete the bootable disk.
Step 2: Boot the problem-causing device with this bootable disk.
Step 3: Recovering the data is the next step.
- Wait for the MiniTool Partition to start automatically.
- On the ToolBar, select the Data Recovery option.
- Select the suitable drive and press the Scan button.
- Look for the files you want to recover. Check the files before saving them on your device.
- Press the Save button and the files will then be saved onto another disk or an external hard drive
Step 4: Wipe the Disk.
- From the shortcut menu, select the Wipe Disk option.
- A pop-up window will appear with a warning. Click the Yes button.
- Choose the desired wiping method.
- Press OK.
Step 5: Reinstall Windows by the Windows Installation media.
Method 7: Check For Errors on Disk
Step 1: 0x0000098 error may occur if there are disk errors on the C partition. Therefore, running a disk error check will fix the problem.
The steps to run a disk check has been given below:
Step 1: To open the Command Prompt window, you need to enter the Windows Recovery environment once more.
Step 2: Enter chkdsk c: /f as the command. The errors will be automatically taken care of.
Method 8: Windows Image
Step 1: Enter the command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the Command Prompt window.
Step 2: Press Enter for the process to complete.
Step 3: In case the above command doesn’t yield any result, try the following commands:
- Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
Step 4: Restart the device after the completion of the process.
The above-given methods will help in solving the Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000098. If you know of any other easier methods please let us know in the comment section below. We hope this article helped take care of the error.