The pandemic has forced us to stay cooped up in our homes. Staying at home all day has pushed everyone to use social media. People now spend more time on social media applications than before. Social media applications are the window to the outer world. These applications keep us in touch with our friends and family. Now more than ever, people miss going out, meeting their friends, and hanging out with them. Therefore, many people downloaded new social media applications for the first time. Using these new applications come with queries about the signs and symbols present in these applications.
Many users had questions regarding the lock icon visible on their friends’ stories. The Lock Icon, in question, is a small icon that is visible around many Snapchat stories of peers. Here, we will be talking about the following things:
- The lock icon on Snapchat stories: What does it entail?
- How does a Private story work?
- Procedure to create your own Private story
- What is the difference between a Private story and a Normal custom story
- Is there notification for Private stories?
- What is the duration of Private stories?
- What is the grey lock that appears in some stories?
The lock Icon On Snapchat Stories: What does it entail?
If you have been wondering about the small lock icon you see on your friends’ stories, here are the details you need to know about it.
The lock icon means that the story is private, and only a few people can view it. This feature has been present in the application for quite some time. It also allows the users to share their stories with only a few people over Snapchat. It helps to keep things private and is preferred when someone wants to share something only with a selected bunch of people. This feature is similar in working as the close friend feature available on Instagram.
If you thought that the visibility of the lock screen means you would not be able to view the story, then you are wrong. The contrary holds in this case. The visibility of the lock icon means that you are among the select few who can view the private story.
How does a Private story work?
A private story is not that different from an ordinary story. The only difference is that the private story is sent only to the people in your private group. Therefore, the stories are sent only to specific people who are your favorites.
Procedure to create your own private story
- Go to the Snapchat application and open it.
- To create a ‘Private story’, tap on your profile photo.
- From the displayed menu, navigate to the Stories Option, and press on ‘Private Story’.
- Your friends’ will now be displayed.
- Select the people you want to share your story with. Now, click on ‘Create a Story’.
- A text box will now be visible, where you can enter the name of the story.
- Create the Story with a photo or a video. Then, press the Send To button present at the bottom.
- Select the Private Group you have selected and press on the ‘Post’ Option.
- Go to the Snapchat application and open it.
- To create a ‘Private Story’, tap on your profile photo.
- Press on the ‘+custom story’ icon.
- Then choose the ‘Private Story’ icon.
- Create a Private story and choose the friends you want to share the story with.
Note: The private stories can only be shared with all your close friends. But, Geostories can be shared with the nearest Snapchatter in the location where you have decided to post the story.
Difference between a Private story and a Normal custom story?
There is a major difference between custom stories and Private stories. In the Custom Stories option, your friends can interact with the story, but in Private Stories, this is not possible. In Private stories, the interaction feature is not available.
Is there notification for Private stories?
No, there are no notifications for Private stories. They are similar to normal stories, and none of your friends in the private group or the ones outside it will be informed.
What is the duration of Private stories?
The time duration of Private stories is the same as that for Normal stories. They last for 24 hours. Then they disappear. Therefore, there is not much of a difference between Private and Normal stories, except that they are displayed only to people in the private group.
What is the grey lock that appears in some stories?
The grey lock around stories indicates that you have already viewed the story. When a private story is yet to be viewed, a purple lock appears on them. After you have viewed it, it turns grey. This is similar to the normal grey ring that appears around normal stories that you have already viewed.
We hope that this article has been useful in clearing your doubts regarding the lock icon on Snapchat Stories. Now you can share your stories with a select few to maintain your privacy and still have fun. If you have any queries, you can leave a comment below and we will get back to you. Till then, happy Snapchatting!