TikTok, as the world says, is today’s most used and downloaded app. The short-form video format is the most attention-gaining feature, and more than 1.1 billion people use this app. Launched in 2016, it’s till date one of the most famous social media platforms which offers a promising following feed, beautiful filters, popular acronym & much more. This app gained popularity mainly due to its focus on creativity, promotions of different brands and products from all across the globe. It gave rise to earnings for a lot of people, those who came up as TikTok Influencers. This app has a global reach which has successfully made people connect from all over the world, as it is available in almost 160 countries and different languages.
But sadly, 10+ countries banned TikTok, as it was caught stealing users data. Still, many countries are using the app every day just because it’s a source of revenue and massive engagement. One of those features is the long-awaited dark mode that rolled out after much testing. In the beginning, it was limited to iPhone users only, but now it is available to some Android users too. So here in this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of enabling TikTok dark mode on both Android and iOS devices. Whether you are an experienced user or a novice, we’ll have you navigating TikTok dark mode like a pro.
Why Should You Opt For TikTok Dark Mode?
Using TikTok dark mode has become a millennial’s thing today, every other person right now is having their TikTok app with dark backgrounds and contrasting texts. Dark mode, an increasingly popular element in digital design, extends its benefits beyond surface aesthetics. It introduces a visually pleasing contrast with dark backgrounds and light text and also serves a more profound purpose. By mitigating eye strain, and safeguarding privacy in public settings, dark mode has evolved into a favored choice, prioritizing user comf ort, readability, and energy efficiency across various digital platforms. This feature is beneficial for users in many ways. Let’s see how.
- Dark Background of the dark mode when coupled with light text and icons can give applications and interfaces a modern and elegant appearance.
- Reduces eye strain, by going easier on the eyes, particularly in low-light situations. The stark brightness of white backgrounds can be uncomfortable in the dark, making dark mode a more comfortable option for reading and improving readability, especially for individuals with vision impairments.
- Slowly decreases screen glare and reflections can be especially beneficial in privacy-conscious scenarios. For instance, using dark-themed TikTok app in public places can help shield your feed from prying eyes.
- Provides privacy in low-light settings, dark mode is less distracting to those around you, respecting their privacy and preventing you from disturbing others.
- Emits fewer blue lights than the light mode from the phone screen which doesn’t cause fatigue or strain on the eyes.
Basic Steps To Activate TikTok Dark Mode On Android Smartphone
Enabling dark mode in TikTok in Android could be a bit tricky, cause TikTok hasn’t yet released this feature on all Android devices. But we have come up with few steps following which you can access TikTok dark mode easily. There are two quirky ways to enable dark mode in Android through in-app settings & then phone settings. But before that, it’s important to note that your TikTok and the Android version are updated to their latest version.
Method 1: Enable Dark Mode Via App Settings
- Step 1: Open the TikTok app and tap ‘Me’ at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 2: Open your profile settings by clicking on the three dots in the upper right part of your screen.
- Step 3: Scroll down and choose ‘Content Preferences’.
- Step 4: Select ‘App Appearance’ from the drop-down menu.
- Step 5: Enable the Dark Mode feature.
Method 2: Enable Dark Mode Through Phone Settings
- Step 1: Navigate to your phone’s settings app.
- Step 2: Select ‘Display’ from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: To activate Dark mode, click on it.
- Step 4: Now relaunch the TikTok app, to check whether it is switched to dark mode or not.
One of these two methods will surely help you get the dark mode feature enabled on your TikTok. But sometimes method 2 might not work due to restricted app permissions. In this case, you have to make sure TikTok is granted with all the app permissions.
Activate TikTok Dark Mode On iPhone & iPad
Activating dark mode on TikTok on iOS is a much easier process since TikTok has launched its dark mode for Apple users specifically first, then for some Android versions. The in-app feature for iPhone is user-friendly and can be activated using the steps listed below. To enable dark mode on TikTok do follow the steps listed below:
- Step 1: Open the TikTok app
- Step 2: Click on the Profile option displayed at the lower right-screen corner
- Step 3: Tap on the three horizontal lines to access the settings.
- Step 4: Click on Settings and Privacy.
- Step 5: Lastly, tap on Dark Mode to enable the function.
How To Enable Basic Dark Mode On Android & iOS Devices?
Dark mode not only enhances the visual experience but also reduces strain on your eyes, especially in the low-light settings. Below are simple steps to enable dark mode on both platforms.
Switch Dark Mode On Android Devices
Enabling dark mode is a very straightforward process. On switching to Dark mode, the overall layout of the device changes to dark mode and provides a more eye-friendly and visually appealing experience.
- Step 1: Open the “Settings” app on your Android device, which can be found on your home screen.
- Step 2: Scroll down until you find the “Display” or “Display & Brightness” option, and then tap on it.
- Step 3: Within the display settings, you’ll see an option for “Dark Mode” or “Night Mode.” Toggle it on to instantly switch to dark mode.
Enabling Dark Mode On iOS Devices
Just like Android, dark mode can be implemented on the iOS device as well. The steps for activating it has been mentioned below which is very quick and easy-to-go.
- Step 1: On your iOS device, locate the “Settings” app.
- Step 2: Select “Display & Brightness.” in the provided list.
- Step 3: Under the “Appearance” section, you’ll find “Light” and “Dark” options. Choose “Dark” to activate the dark mode.
By following these uncomplicated steps, you can seamlessly enjoy the benefits of dark mode on your Android and iOS devices, creating a comfortable viewing experience, especially in dimly lit environments, while also potentially conserving battery life on devices with OLED screens.
As TikTok continues to evolve and come up with new features every day, Dark mode remains one of the constant partners for those seeking a nice stress-free scrolling experience. The protection of user well-being is of the highest significance in the age of digitalization. TikTok’s dark mode is a smooth feature for Android and iOS users, providing an aesthetically pleasing setting to navigate the app. Be it a regular user or an aspiring influencer, the dark mode gives everyone the advantage of less blue light exposure and more battery life. Moreover, TikTok live streaming capabilities are advancing, enabling users to host virtual events, concerts, and interactive sessions with their followers. Lastly, TikTok is focusing on user safety by introducing improved content moderation and reporting tools like other video-sharing platforms in the market, creating a more secure and positive environment for its ever-expanding community including features like Dark Mode that provide the user with aesthetics as well as privacy while using the app.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Q) How do I know if my Android device supports dark mode?
Ans: Check whether your device has Android 10 or the latest version and is up to date. Dark Theme in Android is generally available for the latest versions only.
Q) Why don’t I have dark mode on TikTok?
Ans: Dark mode is almost available for all the apps on today’s date. But TikTok’s dark mode is still not widespread and is only limited to iOS and a few Android versions.