If you have a MacBook Air then this article is not for you but if you have a MacBook Pro then you are at the right place. If you were having this question in your mind about whether you can upgrade RAM in your MacBook Pro or not then the answer to this question is yes. You can upgrade the RAM and boost the performance of your Mac. Upgrading RAM will increase the memory of your MacBook and it will handle more tasks at one time. Not all models of MacBook allow a memory upgrade but if the model is MacBook Pro, MacBook iMac, Mac mini then you can upgrade them but you will have to do a little bit of hard work in performing the up-gradation steps.
We will discuss all the steps with you to easily upgrade your MacBook and extract a lot of work from it. Also, it’s not always possible to upgrade RAM as it may have some cons sometimes as every part of the MacBook is connected and any change in one can affect the other. Above all, you can make a wise decision on whether you should upgrade the RAM on your MacBook Pro or not after reading this article.
Steps To Upgrade RAM in MacBook Pro
- Step 1: Turn off your MacBook Pro and remove all the cables and accessories attached to it.
- Step 2: Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Step 3: Flip the laptop so that you can see the backside of it.
- Step 4: Unscrew the bottom case and make sure you remember the screw and its port as they all are not the same.
- Step 5: Locate the RAM module.
- Step 6: Using ejection levers eject RAM and pull it without touching gold connectors. If another ram module is present then repeat the same process.
- Step 7: Now insert the new RAM module again without touching the gold connectors.
- Step 8: Push the new ram until it clicks then insert the second one & re-attach the back case and screw it once again.
Also Read: Tips for Resolving MacBook Trackpad Problems
Steps To Upgrade RAM In Mac Mini
Mac mini models from 2010 to 2012 are those whose RAM can be easily upgraded. Models that came afterwards do not allow upgrading of RAM.
- Step 1: Shut down your Mac mini and remove all the cables and cords attached to it.
- Step 2: Flip your Mac mini on a soft towel or cloth.
- Step 3: Press the door present underneath the memory storage and remove the door. Keep it safe somewhere.
- Step 4: To unlock the memory cage push the two levers outward and pull them up. You can check the door for the correct diagram.
- Step 5: Pull the module up to remove it and insert a new one and push it down till it connects again.
- Step 6: Once you replace your old ram with a new one push the memory lever back till it clicks.
- Step 7: Reinsert the memory compartment door back.
- Step 8: Unclip your Mac mini and attach all the cables and switch it on. It may take 30 seconds to start.
Associated Risks With RAM Upgrade
It is advised that before you decide to use an upgraded RAM you must try all other methods to increase the memory of your MacBook. Some risks associated with ram upgrade are listed below.
Risk of Damaging the MacBook : While trying to insert a new RAM in place of an old you might end up damaging the delicate parts of your MacBook.
Losing the warranty of the MacBook : If the ram of your device is ‘user serviceable’ then it won’t be a problem but if it’s not then it’s better not to upgrade the RAM. Sometimes RAM is soldered in the device in such cases also you must avoid upgrading it.
Every device comes with its RAM but some devices give the freedom to users to upgrade the RAM too. One can upgrade the ram in the MacBook Pro by following the steps that we have discussed in this article. However, it’s not always safe to perform up-gradation and it may lead to damage to the device. So one must figure out all other ways to boost up ram before upgrading it.